UK Drone Licenses for Recreational and Commercial use explained

Share This:

I am soon on my way to the UK and decided to buy my new DJI Phantom 4 Professional Drone. I want to get some nice sunset and country side shots while I’m there. I’m thinking about doing a road trip so this will be the ideal time to get a wide range of different sights and landscapes as we tour the country.

Before I arrive to the UK, I thought it would be best to do some research on flying Drones in England. I found a lot of information which I have shared with you below. This will keep us within laws and not get into trouble.

What I found on UK Drone Licenses for Recreational and Commercial use

The use of unmanned aerial vehicles (or drones) for aerial filming and other activities in the UK airspace is governed by the CAA.  UAV regulations and guidelines have been set, but they are also evolving as the technology and the industry evolves.   Note that what follows is a general summary and full details can be viewed on the CAA’s website where you will find links to the relevant documents and sections on each aspect of UAV operation according to weight and other criteria.

Companies doing commercial work are usually issued with a PfAW (Permission for Aerial Work) document by the CAA having undergone the required training and assessment.  This permission is renewed annually.

Anyone using a small drone needs to be aware of the regulations contained in the Air Navigation Order.

This short video guide for what is expected for every drone operator.

The regulations are designed to make UAV flying safe for everyone i.e.other airspace users, those on the ground, and the UAV operators themselves.  Some details may change over time so always use the CAA’s website for the latest versions.

Below are the basic rules to which all UAV pilots must adhere when flying UAV weighing 20 kg or less that are equipped with cameras of various types.

The flight must not put anyone or anything in danger of injury or damage.

The aircraft should be kept within the visual line of site of RP (Remote Pilot – the person operating it).  This is considered to be a maximum of 400ft vertically and a distance of 500m horizontally.  Approval to operate flights beyond these limits must be obtained from the CAA.

  • Depending on the airspace in which the flight is to take place the RP may need to obtain permission from the appropriate ATU (Air Traffic Unit).
  • Not over or within 150m of any congested area (exceptions detailed in CAA Information Notice IN-2014/1900)
  • Not over or within 150m of a crowd of 1,000 persons or more.
  • Not within 50m of any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure which is not under the control of the RP.
  • Not within 30m of any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure which is under the control of the RP
  • The RP has the responsibility that the flight can be conducted safely.

Get a drone that shows you the distance on your receiver or monitor. Any of these Approved professional drones can work. Keep track of your height and distance.

I also found a site called NO FLY ZONE UK which alerts you know where NOT to fly your drone. Another site called lets you search attractions by name, city, or country to find out where you can and can’t operate a drone.

More detailed Information can be found below

>  General enquiries about Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA) and the CAA’s regulatory safety framework for commercial and recreational and

>  Detailed guidance on operating SUA within London and other towns and cities: and

>  UK Law: Air Navigation Order (ANO) Articles 166 and 167 pertaining to small unmanned aircraft:

>  Demonstrating pilot competency at a National Qualified Entity (NQE) for the grant of CAA permission to work commercially (‘aerial work’): and and

>  Collecting images with an SUA:  Data Protection Act:

I hope this helps you as much as it did for me.

8 Top Travel Tips and Accessories to enjoy your upcoming business trips

Share This:

I often travel for business and pleasure. Sometimes it’s throughout the Caribbean on Liat airlines, a very unreliable and over priced carrier in the region. I’ve had my share of good and bad experiences. My bad experiences have led me to say that wouldn’t recommend the airline to any persons travelling in the region but unfortunately there are not many other options. Maybe Caribbean Airlines depending on flight availability would be the alternative and I have a few friends who also chartered small planes like SVG Air but their reviews and feedback were not that great either. So your best bet would be Caribbean Airlines if available or the same Liat Airlines.

Most of my travel is to the United States, Canada, UK and Europe. I’m usually always checking on flights, hotels, activities and business events happening in respective countries. I’ve added a video below which shows you some top tips when travelling to ensure you get the best deals and stress free trips around the world.

8 Top Travel Hacks and tips

You can also find the TOP 3 travel accessories I use for a better travel experience below

  1. Aeris Memory Foam Travel Neck Pillow with Sleep Mask, Earplugs, Carry Bag, Adjustable Toggles and Velour Cover – Grab it before you travel 
  2. Bluesmart One – Smart Luggage: GPS, Remote Locking, Battery Charger (International Carry-on Size, TSA-Approved) – NEVER LOOSE YOUR LUGGAGE AGAIN!
    The Bluesmart carry-on is the first suitcase to connect wirelessly to your smartphone so you can stay charged, tracked, locked, and underweight. A charging dock, with two USB ports, lets you power your phone up to six times so you never have to crowd around an airport outlet again. A built-in SIM card lets you know where your bag is via GPS / 3G, anywhere in the world, for free – Grab it before you travel 
  3. FosPower FUSE WorldWide Universal AC International Adapter Travel Charger with Dual [3.1A] USB Charging Ports (US UK EU AU) – This is the All-in-one world travel adapter covers more than 150 countries with US/EU/AU/UK plugs – Grab it before you travel